Destiny 2 will have four “seasons” a year, Bungie revealed during its stream at Twitchcon.
We’re currently in season one. While the developers didn’t say when season 2 will start, there will be another Iron Banner and Faction Rally. These are expected to take place after the game launches on PC – as it launches on October 24.
The game’s first expansion, The Curse of Osiris DLC, is scheduled to be released this winter in addition to the second season. The Curse of Osiris is set in a new location, Mercury. “Journey through time and space to learn the secrets of Osiris, avert a dark future, and rebuild the ties between the legendary Warlock and his greatest student–Ikora Rey.” the description. Seasons will also feature exclusive gear tailored to that each specific season.
Season two adds ornaments to Trials, Iron Banner, and Faction Rally Gear. In Season two, “there will be an ornaments slot requiring an objective to unlock to show that you completed a limited event objective. Such as winning 10 IB matches, Flawless in Trials of The Nine, etc,” Bungie details on Reddit. Season two also adds Ice Hockey to the game, and players get to have snowball fights. The Dawning will also make a return after the launch of Season two.
As far as adding four new seasons a year, Bungie said it wants to make “more predictable time tables” about what players can expect in the game. Seasons will also reset a player’s Clans progress to “make it so that new clans could keep pace with more established, high-level clans,” according to Kotaku
Bungie Explains Destiny 2’s Seasonal Changes
All About Seasons
- Seasons have themes associated with them. They take feedback from the community for adding and adjusting things such as new emotes, rewards, etc.
- Season Goals:
- More predictable time tables (what to expect and when)
- Destiny 2 year 1: 4 seasons
- Make big changes to the game
- Sandbox tuning, new features, more content
- Big patches to change the meta, etc.
- Meant so you don’t feel like you have to play Destiny ALL the time but instead can take at your pace and show up for important events.
- Season 2:
- Iron Banner – What Bungie Learned:
- 1,500 YEARS worth of time played between all guardians.
- Learned how we interacted with the loot system. There will be changes to loot such as letting us direct purchase guns using tokens and legendary shards.
- The token economy is not always the best way for everything.
- For Season 2, there will be an ornaments slot requiring an objective to unlock to show that you completed a limited event objective. Such as winning 10 IB matches, Flawless in Trials of The Nine, etc
- Heard community feedback of wanting rewards more meaningful.
- One more Iron Banner in Season 1. Some new gear
- Perks and stats will be updated.
- There will be a matching energy and kinetic weapon so you can have one of each.
- Trials of The Nine
- There will be ornaments as well, not shown yet but “They look really cool”
- Updated weapons, both visual look and perks
- Faction Rally
- Data was tallied cross-platform.
- One more in Season 1
- For Season 2 there will be changes to promote playing with a fireteam more vs just solo. Meaning “I’m going to solo farm this as it’s more efficient” won’t always be the thing. This does NOT mean a nerf to solo, but rather a buff to fireteam aspects so that you can play with your friends instead of splitting off doing your own individual thing.
- When: Before end of Season 1
- What: Double XP while playing activities with your Fireteam
- Pilot: Clan collaboration required
All the emotes, and other rewards from it will be updated and changed
Certain rewards from Bright Engrams will be retired making them limited/exclusive and not able to collect anymore, but if you already have it
you can keep it.