Andrew Wilkinson is a Canadian entrepreneur and venture capitalist with a net worth of $300 million! Andrew is the founder of Tiny, a holding company that owns over 40 businesses including Dribble, MetaLab and Pixel Union. In recent times, he’s become known for his thought leadership on Twitter and appearing on the My First Million podcast.
Born in Vancouver, Andrew studied Journalism at Ryerson University. While working at a coffee shop, he came across customers who were web designers. This inspired him to launch Matlab in 2007, initially the company designed simple websites and apps for small businesses. Within two months, it was making $30,000 per month and took home $250,000 in the first year.
Over the next few years, the company’s profits continued to double and were producing strong cash flows. The likes of Google, Apple and Uber were on his client list! In 2013, he teamed up with Chris Sparling to form Tiny. The business invested in early-stage tech startups such as Hootsuite, Unbounce, and BuildDirect.
However, Andrew’s success didn’t come without setbacks. One of the most notable was Flow. He believed his product was superior but as the company grew, users demanded a version for iPhone, Android, iPad, and Mac. In response, Asana quickly released clients for every platform as they had a massive team of developers.
Despite the challenges posed by the competition, Andrew continued to invest until they ran out of capital. The company started missing payroll and rent, and at one point, his business partner had to inject money from his personal account to pay salaries.
Asana raised $28 million and invested heavily in advertising, while Flow chose to focus on organic growth and profitability. After 12 years of burning through cash, they pulled the plug.
Andrew’s net worth is estimated to be around $300 million, which is largely a result of taking his companies public on the Canadian stock exchange. In April 2023, he took Tiny public through a reverse merger with WeCommerce and was valued at $560 million. Despite owning a large number of businesses, the majority of the profit comes from Metalabs, Dribble and Wecommerce. Roughly, 80% of his wealth is stored in Tiny and the remaining 20% is in stocks and real estate.
In recent years, Andrew has become involved in philanthropic efforts. He is a strong advocate for education, and has donated significant sums to support initiatives targeting underserved communities. He also donates to organizations working to fight climate change and protect endangered species. Due to his reputation, Andrew is often invited to speak at conferences, and has been featured in publications such as Forbes and Bloomberg.